During the French "protectorate" between 19th and 20th centuries, the phylloxera destroyed the French vineyards. The colonists became rich by sending their wines produced in Tunisia to the ports of Sète in France. These wines were known during several years as medical wines rounding off degrees and colors of most of the French wines.

Between 1936 and 1947, in the region of the Cap Bon, which gathers 80 % of the Tunisian vineyard, the vines were attacked by the phylloxera. To face the crisis, the wine growers gathered into cooperatives, trying to raise the vineyards and draw the outlines of appellations controlees. After the war, 1948 an union of wine cooperatives (UCCV) were established and later became Les Vignerons de Carthage.